Wednesday, October 13, 2010

The next day

So 5 months ago, I started a new career. Not by MY choice, but by God's. For the past 5 months, I've been working inside a prison! Yes. A prison.

Before that, I worked at our local technical college for 3 1/2 years. Absolutely LOVED it. But that door shut very quickly on March 26th. I was out the door with a broken heart and many questions to ponder.

Before the college, I worked at the local mental health center for 10 1/2 years. Absolutely LOVED it as well! But after 10 1/2 years, God moved me into a new realm of society: he took me from working with the mentally ill and distressed, to working with young adults! Not a big leap, right? LOL. Never thought I'd enjoy working with that age group, but when one follows where God leads you, He also equips you to complete the Mission He sets forth. Loved that job.

Funny though, how quickly 5 months has passed. It was definitely a different atmosphere and schedule to get accustomed to! This prison is 30 miles from where I live. I've never worked outside of where I live before! Getting myself ready on a different schedule was quite a challenge for me and took several weeks to find my routine again.

But what about that time BETWEEN these 2 jobs?

Well.

Even though it was only 7 weeks from one job to the next, at the time, it felt like MONTHS.

It was the 2nd time in my adult life where I'd been terminated from a job. I truly never thought it would happen to me again.

I was wrong.

God ALLOWS things to take place in our lives in order to make us who we are in Him. God ALLOWS NOTHING to happen to us that He doesn't know about. And through it all, He is as close as a whisper.

Did I question Him during those 7 weeks?

Absolutely!

Did I trust Him?

Of course!

Did I find my answers?

Yes I did.

And in the midst of it all, He was moving the puzzle pieces of my life around so that I'd be ready to walk through the door He was holding open for me once again: this time however, the doors weren't doors. They were PRISON GATES.

I was and am, reminded of Paul who spent the majority of his life inside prison walls, in chains, rat-infested conditions, and never lost the faith He had in Christ Jesus. Let me tell you: the prison(s) he spent time in were very much prison compared to the prison current-day inmates live in!

So one thing I always tell God is this: Show me where You want me. Show me where I am to spread the Gospel in this job.

And He does.

First week of Academy. A young man not so different than the young men at the college, was in our class. Got to know him and his cute wife a little bit. They were in dire straights at that time. So I rallied my Troops together to lend a helping hand.

My Troops mowed their lawn, filled their refrigerator, helped them in many ways.

Then, just as fast as we got to know them, they were gone from our lives. Up and moved back to Colorado.

I know in my heart that we were entertaining Jesus during that time and He will say to us, "Well done, my good and faithful Servants."

They were in our lives for a very short season. I pray that they never forget us and one day, will touch base with us again!

Even though I've been at this new job for only 5 months, I've seen, heard and experienced TONS of testimonies to honor my Lord and Savior! I work with some amazing and powerful Christians who's lights shine in the darkness of the evil that comes along with prison life. We truly are the lights that shine there!

Of course, the shining lights are not only from staff who are strong in their faith. There are TONS of born-again Christian inmates as well. And that's where the POWER really lies! For they are the ones who live in the GUTS of the prison. They are truly the ones who rub elbows each and every day with those in total darkness. THEY are the ones who carry the Light of the World into their darkness!

As time goes on, I will share some powerful and awesome testimonies on this blog, of the Power of my Lord Jesus! He has given me the gift of words and I feel lost when I don't use that gift. Hence: the new blog.

Even if you never make a comment on here, I pray the words you read will touch your heart and encourage you in whatever you're going through! The testimonies I will share with you have brought me much encouragement and I wanna spread that along!

So for now, until we meet again on this, the written page, have a God-awed day my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment